Executive Chef at Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve & Wellness Retreat, Floris Smith adds a twist to the South African dessert with this traditional rooibos milk tart recipe (melktert).
Ingredients – Pastry:
- 500g cake flour
- 7.5ml cream of tartare
- 500g butter
- 200ml ice water
- Pinch of salt
Ingredients – Milk Tart Filling:
- 500ml milk
- 1 cinnamon finger, whole
- zest of 1 orange
- 6 Rooibos tea bags
- 60ml sugar
- 45ml cake flour
- 15ml corn flour
- Pinch of salt
- 30ml butter
- 3 eggs, separated
- Cinnamon sugar to serve
Method – Pastry:
- Sift the flour, cream of tartare and salt into a food processor.
- Cube the butter and add to the flour mixture.
- Pulse the butter into the flour, slowly add the water until the pastry comes together.
- Wrap and put into the fridge to rest for at least 2 hours.
Method – Milk Tart Filling:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry quite thinly and line a 25cm tart tin.
- To make the filling, bring the milk, cinnamon, orange zest and Rooibos to the boil and put aside to cool down for 30 minutes.
- Mix the sugar, flour, corn flour, egg yolks and salt together in a mixing bowl. Slowly strain the milk into the mixture and mix well.
- Cook over a low heat until the mixture thickens.
- Take off the heat and stir in the butter.
- Whip egg white to soft peak stage and fold into cooked mixture. Spoon mixture into a tart case and bake for approximately 15 minutes. Turn the oven down to 180ºC for another 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, dust with cinnamon sugar and serve.