Missing your regular facial at your favourite Spa? Try a homemade yoghurt, honey and oats face mask, created by our Spa team at Bushmans Kloof.
It takes around 15 - 20 minutes to prepare a simple face mask and you will find all the ingredients you need in your own kitchen! This face mask is suitable for all skin types and can be applied once a week for maximum benefits.
- 1 tbsp oatmeal, finely ground
- 1 tbsp live, organic yoghurt (skip the flavoured stuff)
- A few drops of honey
- Add the yoghurt to the oatmeal in a small bowl and mix together.
- Warm a few drops of honey. To do this, warm a spoon under hot water for a minute, and then add a few drops of honey to the spoon.
- Stir the honey into the yoghurt and oatmeal mixture.
- Apply the mask to the face. Relax for 10-15 minutes, then rinse off with several splashes of warm water. Follow with a warm washcloth.
- Apply moisturiser.
Benefits of these ingredients
Yoghurt has been used as a skin remedy since ancient times. In India, applying yoghurt to the skin is still valued as a great way to clear acne and pimples while in ancient Egypt, Cleopatra was famous for taking daily milk baths to keep her skin glowing and youthful.
- Lactic acid
- Vitamin B
It has been claimed that yoghurt can:
- Lightens blemishes and moles
- Tightens skin pores
- Clears acne
- Anti-ageing properties
- Some ingredients in honey may kill certain bacteria and fungi.
- It provides vital nutrients that speed up the healing process for damaged or wounded skin; in addition honey also serves as a barrier to moisture and keeps skin from sticking to dressings
It has been claimed that honey can:
- Hydrate skin, locking-in moisture
- Have anti-bacterial and anti-ageing effects
Oats make a great breakfast and have also been claimed as an excellent product for a variety of skin conditions such as itchy, dry or flaky skin.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids
It has been claimed that oats can:
- Be used as a remedy for acne
- Calm dry and irritated skin
- Sooth sunburned skin
Check out our at home blogs for inspiration on things to bake, watch and do.